ORA-1658 - A lesson in creating databases with care

Today, I had a rush job to create and populate a database using data from some of the prod schema.  I was going to do an RMAN duplicate, but that ended badly... More on that later maybe, if I ever figure out what happened.

I created the database using DBCA, created a directory within the DB, transferred over a Data Pump export to the right place and let it rip.

Only to see, almost immediately:
ORA-39171: Job is experiencing a resumable wait.
ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace XXXXXX
Bugger.  I did set up those tablespaces with datafiles that Oracle can write to, right?  I wasn't quite that stupid.

However, all of the tablespaces and datafiles that I created had autoextend disabled, in what I am assured is an easy and fairly minor oversight.

The second I altered it to be auto-extending, the datapump import continued as if nothing had ever happened.

Posting this because someone else may have the same symptoms - all the hits I saw for this error were nothing to do with my problem!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Data Guard with Transparent Application Failover (TAF)

RMAN-05531 During RMAN Duplicate from Active Data Guard Standby

Data pump - "ORA-39786: Number of columns does not match between export and import databases"