Oracle Configuration Manager

There's a short story behind my new job but that'll wait for another day...

I wanted to write about my experiences installing Oracle Configuration Manager (OCM) to monitor Oracle databases in an Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c (OEM 12c) environment.  It's deceptively simple, but I've wasted more than a day trying to figure out what's going on.

The first place you start if you're like me, is finding out that OCM exists!  It's a nice idea; a small bit of software that sits in your Oracle installation, monitors the configuration of the DB, the host, the listeners, anything relevant, and uploads it to Oracle's servers so that if you ever need to raise a service request - it's much easier and the tech support people have more information to help you with.

As a concept that is fabulous, but on a practical level, installing OCM on 20 different servers, in 2 locations on each one because it needs installing separately for each product, is not going to happen quickly, no matter how small it is.

This is where OEM comes in!  We already have an Oracle Enterprise Manager installation monitoring the databases.  This already has connections to the database servers, could this somehow be involved?

There's a nice link on the "Collector" tab of your My Oracle Support page that says:
Already Using Enterprise Manager Cloud Control?

This link takes you to doc 1126022.1.  And while this document is poorly written, poorly presented, and doesn't cover the basics it does genuinely have the right information.

After installing OCM in my OMS home, I saw a message under Setup->My Oracle Support->Support Identifier Assignment saying:
GC harvester is running normally. The last run was on Friday, May 23, 2014 2:00:25 AM BST and next scheduled run is on Saturday, May 24, 2014 2:00:00 AM BST.
But the next day I couldn't find any evidence that anything had happened!  I went through the process of starting a support request on something fairly trivial to see if I could see the newly uploaded data anywhere, and I still couldn't find anything to indicate that stuff had happened.

I feel a bit daft writing this down now because in hindsight it was fairly obvious.  The data that OCM is uploading can be found in the "Systems" tab of My Oracle Support.

The setup process is:
  1. Install OCM on your OMS host
  2. Stop.  Walk away.  Wait until 2am passes.
  3. Next day, check the Setup->My Oracle Support->Support Identifier Assignment
  4. Next day, check the "Systems" tab of your My Oracle Support account
I hope this helps you.  I found researching and installing OCM one of the most infuriating experiences I've yet to have with Oracle.  The documentation all assumes you know what the effects of installing it will be - what will happen and what you can expect to see after you've installed it.  If (like me), you don't, then the documentation is largely meaningless.

It tells you (in great detail) how to install it.  How to configure it.  But not what to expect after you've installed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Data Guard with Transparent Application Failover (TAF)

RMAN-05531 During RMAN Duplicate from Active Data Guard Standby

Data pump - "ORA-39786: Number of columns does not match between export and import databases"