Back onto the wagon we jump

When the wagon's a treadmill, it doesn't have the same impact I suppose.

I'm considering giving C25K (Couch to 5K) a try, in somewhat modified form no doubt.  I think the chances of me hitting 5K in a session at any time soon are so small that to even aim for that is to be unrealistic.  I don't run.  Never have done.  I've been forced to at school, doing the 100m, 400m and 800m (seriously - you call that a sprint?!) along with the joy of Cross Country through Gaitsgill and Raughton on cold winters days.

But I never enjoyed it, I find it uncomfortable enough that I can't get into a groove.  It's not like walking where I can find myself just slipping away into myself or like cycling where the pleasure of just getting somewhere different and unachievable by walking (and let's admit it, the speed) are all pleasures.

I did however give running on the treadmill a brief shot today.  I walked briskly for 5 mins, ran for 90 seconds, walked for 3 mins, ran for 90 seconds and then walked a few more minutes until I nearly fell off the end.  WHY do all gyms insist on having mirrors every bloody where?  I don't find that look in the least attractive...

I'm going to hold off on the goals until I get into a routine.  I tend to think that given a routine I'll just do it, whereas given a specific goal I've more chance of giving up by stealth (you know... missing a day here, a day there, then finding a good excuse not to go for a week, then before you know it you've missed a month).  Once I've been going a month or so I'll try to set some goals.  Probably not weight related but fitness related.  Hitting a certain distance in a certain time on the cardio stuff, working with a decent amount of weight on the resistance stuff and so on.

Along with all this comes the inevitable "must eat healthier" background headstuff.  To be fair we (me and Jane) really don't eat terribly unhealthily in the actual content of our normal daily core meals, the problem for me comes in quantity.  Quantity quantity quantity.  Like last night I made a paella and apple crumble, put the remaining paella away for today's lunch and the remaining apple crumble too, but found the lure of the sweet stuff too strong when I went downstairs at 2am (couldn't sleep).  In all I must have eaten 3/4 of the desert that should have done 4 portions.

The answer to that may be simpler than I hoped.  Don't refrigerate it - freeze it.  The extra effort required to heat/defrost the extras may be enough of a deterrent to a quick munchie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Data Guard with Transparent Application Failover (TAF)

RMAN-05531 During RMAN Duplicate from Active Data Guard Standby

Data pump - "ORA-39786: Number of columns does not match between export and import databases"